The Courthouse Gallery complex contains two galleries, the Main Gallery on the ground floor and the Red Couch Space located on the first floor. Both galleries exhibit work by local, national and international artists, focusing mainly on emerging artists. The exhibitions are largely selected through an open call process and change on a monthly basis. The programme includes some annual exhibitions co-organised with local interest groups.
The building, a late Georgian Courthouse dating from 1790, was first developed as artist studios in 1997, with support from the Arts Council. It was subsequently redeveloped and converted to its present form with the aid of Access Funding received from the Department of the Arts and support from Clare County Council. We opened the doors in 2007 as the Courthouse Studios and Gallery, comprising five multidisciplinary artists studios, a sound recording studio, a main art gallery and a smaller upstairs gallery space.