Dysert O'Dea Castle Tea Rooms
Dysert, Corofin, Co Clare
Phone: 065-6837401/ 086 1000295
Built in a rocky outcrop this tower house was bulit in 1480 by Diarmuid O'Dea. It was badly damanged by the Cromwellians in 1651 but was repaired and opened to the public as an Archaeology Centre in 1986. Today it features an extensive museum of local artifacs, an audio-visual presentation, photographic exhibition, tea room and book shop. There are also archaeology/history trails incorporating 25 field monuments within 4kms radius of the Castle. These include St. Tola's 12th Century High Cross the Romanesque Doorway at Dysert Church which stands on the site of an early christian monestary. It has been described as: "The most archaeologically fertile area in western Europe". A guide is available at the souvenir shop. Guided trail tours by prior appointment.