08 February 2013 - 10 February 2013
Friday 8 Feb 7.30pm Official opening and illustrated lecture: ‘Pride of place: The origins of Anglo-German concertina playing in Clare and beyond’ by Dan Worrall, world-renowned researcher and writer on the social history of the concertina Upstairs in the Markethouse Admission free
9.00pm Concertina trail in selected pubs. Listening sessions with some of the country’s most established concertina players, joined by friends and families. These sessions will continue through Saturday night and Sunday evening.
Saturday 9 Feb 9.30 am Registration for classes St Joseph’s National School, Mullagh Road
10.00 am - 1.00pm Concertina classes for all grades. Tutors will include Mary MacNamara, Jacqueline McCarthy, Hugh Healy, Edel Fox, Dympna O’Sullivan and Jack Talty Fee for two days of tuition and admission to all other events (except the Saturday night concert): Pre-registered students: €45 (register online at www.oac.ie from 15 December) Registration at the venue: €50 Concessions for families and other groups
2.00pm Instrument maintenance workshop with Stephen Chambers ÁrasOaC, Flag Road Admission for non-students: €5 3.00pm An afternoon with Noel Hill. Stories and tunes with Clare’s master concertina player and winner of the 2011 TG4 GradamCeoil. Upstairs in the Markethouse Admission: €5
4.30pm Na Déagóirí A showcase concert with six of Clare’s finest young concertina players The Westbridge Admission: €5 8.00pm The Cruinniú Concert Noel Hill, Tony Linnane and Alec Finn Rick Epping and Mick Kinsella St Joseph’s Parish Church Tickets: €20
9.00pm Concertina trail in selected pubs
Sunday 10 Feb 10.00am – 1.00pm Concertina classes for all grades St Joseph’s National School
2.00pm Instrument maintenance workshop ÁrasOaC, Flag Road Admission for non-students: €5
3.00pm Meet the musicians. An intimate musical afternoon in the company of some of Clare’s legendary masters of the concertina: Chris Droney, Tommy McMahon, Gerald Haugh and more. Facilitated by Tim Collins The Westbridge Admission: €5
5.00pm Concertina trail in selected pubs.
Festival office is located at ÁrasOaC, Flag Road, Miltown Malbay Phone: 353(0)65-7085785
Festival director: ÁineHensey: 353(0)86-2612127 firstname.lastname@example.org Musical director: Tim Collins: 353(0)87-2605689 email@example.com
• An exhibition of old and rare concertinas, as well as archive video, audio and photographic footage will be on display throughout the weekend at ÁrasOaC, Flag Road. Admission free.
• Students and visitors must arrange their own accommodation and transport. There is a wide variety of accommodation available in the Miltown Malbay area. See www.oac.ie or contact Maureen at 065-7085107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Information on other facilities available in Miltown Malbay and the surrounding area is available at www.visitmiltownmalbay.ie.
• Special offer: Weekend ticket for non-students: €30 (covers all events including Saturday night’s concert)
• The Concertina Cruinniú is organized by OaC with support fromClare Local Development Company (LEADER) and the Arts Office of Clare County Council.
• Ármbuíochas le muintirShráidnaCathrach, go h-áirithe An tAth. Seán Murphy agus Comhairlean Pharóiste; Aidan O’Looney agus foireann Scoil Náisiúnta Naomh Seosamh.