Traditional Harvest Day at Bunratty Folk Park
28 September 2014
12:00 - 17:00 Every Sunday
Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Co Clare
Phone: 061 360788
- Celebrate the gathering of the harvest at Bunratty Folk Park, and see the traditions of a typical 19th century harvest day.
- Expereince a flavour of rural Irish life of over 100 years ago.
- Live Traditional Music and dancing
- Market stalls selling traditional crafts such as hand carved wood products,candles, jewelry, beaded products
- Sugan Making Demonstrations
- Fresh produce from the folk park itself will also be on sale
- Flowers and plants from our walled garden
- Freshly baked Bunratty scones, apple pie and porter cake
Harvest traditions from over 100 years ago will be brought to life at Bunratty Folk Park, when a traditional 19th century Harvest Day will be held from 12.00 pm – 5.00 pm on Sunday September 28th 2014. One of the highlights of the day will be the vintage threshing machine in the haggard at the Folk Park. Visitors can watch the crew of farmers at work, demonstrating the art of threshing, as they separate the grain from the sheaves.
Visitors to Bunratty Folk Park on Harvest Sunday will enjoy a flavour of rural Irish life over 100 years ago. The Bean a Ti’s will demonstrate the art of bread baking and butter making. The village school master will be greeting children and looking for them to hand over their customary sod of turf for the tiny school room fire.
Younger visitors to the Folk Park will be encouraged to leave their parents in school while they enjoy the atmosphere created by the musicians and Strawboys who will be performing around the Folk Park during the afternoon.
All are welcome to enjoy traditional storytelling by the resident Seanachai, and the village policeman in his 19th century uniform will be on site to create an ‘arresting experience’ if the harvest celebrations get out of hand.
Younger children in particular will enjoy the newly opened playground at the top of the Village Street. Based on a miniature castle, the playground includes a playhouse, slides swings, ramparts, and a maze.