Iniscealtra (Holy Island)
Iniscealtra, Lough Derg, Mountshannon, Co Clare
Phone: 061 921351
Accessible by boat Holy Island or Inis Cealtra containing approximately twenty hectares is situated on Lough Derg the largest lake on the Shannon. It lies at the mouth of Scariff Bay an inlet of Lough Derg which gives its name to an unpleasant breeze known to fishermen in particular as the 'Scariff Breeze'. Mountshannon is the nearest village to the island which is placed in the midst of some of the most beautiful scenery in the whole of Ireland.Prior to 1849 it formed part of Co. Clare but in that year it was transferred to Co.Galway. In 1899 soon after the passing of The Local Government Act it was restored to Clare. Ecclesiastically it belongs to the Diocese of Killaloe. It has a fine round tower but the top is missing and the ruins of several small churches and cells as well as part of 4 high crosses and a holy well. The cemetery on this island is still in use the coffins being transported from the Clare side in small boats.