Knappogue Castle & Gardens
Knappogue, Co Clare
- Knappogue Walled Garden - Dating from 1817, the beautiful 1.76 acre garden is now restored to its former splendour. The tall and imposing walls of the walled garden, have now been refurnished with climbing roses, grapevines and many clematis varieties.
- Two beautiful restored 19th century drawing rooms furnished with an array of elegant antiques from the time.
- Knappogue State Rooms – Luxurious castle accommodation available for private rental – contact Shannon Heritage on + 353 (0)61 360788.
- Medieval Castle Banquets are held in the castle from April – October – contact Shannon Heritage on +353 (0)61 360788 for reservations.
Knappogue Castle was built in 1467 by Sean MacNamara and is a magnificent example of a medieval tower house. It has a long and varied history from a battle field to a dwelling place. In 1571 the Castle became the seat of the MacNamara Clan - Earls of West Clancullen.Donagh MacNamara was a leader of the 1641 rebellion and then Knappogue remained in MacNamara hands until 1659 when it was confiscated by Cromwells parliament and granted to a Roundhead Arthur Smith. However after the monarchy was restored in 1670 Knappogue was returned to its MacNamara owners. The MacNamara Clan sold the castle to the Scotts in 1800 and they carried out major restoration and extension work. In 1855 it was acquired by Lord Dunboyne who continued the restoration work.